Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Teacher of the 21st Century


Hi Readers, this week I interviewed Maritza Franco. A World Language Teacher at my school; Union Catholic Regional High School.

She’s funny, creative, and witty. Her name is Maritza Franco. She’s a World Language Teacher at Union Catholic Regional High School in Scotch Plains, New Jersey. 1.) Question: How long have you been teaching? Answer: I have been teaching for the past 12 years. This is my 3rd Year here at UC. 2.) Question: What did you do before teaching? Answer: Before teaching I worked in cargo sales, sold the spaces of cargo onboard passenger aircraft for American Airlines, and also was a Global Account Executive for Pharmaceuticals and fashion textiles. My sales territory was New Jersey, lower and mid Manhattan and Connecticut along with the Caribbean, South America and Europe. 3.) Question: Do you like this school? Answer: Definitely, UC is a community. It's like Family, a very BIG family. What I like most is, the fact that everyone is involved in the day to day at UC. I can't really say I like one particular thing, because I like everything about UC. 4.) Question: What other grades did you teach? Answer: I teach Spanish 1, 2, and 3, from Freshman to Seniors. 5.) Question: How many classes do you teach? Answer: This particular year I teach Six (6) classes, One (1) extra section, however I regularly teach (5) classes. 6.) Question: Which class/section do you like most? Answer: I can say I like all at different times, hence my classes are different levels and they all learn differently. Spanish 1 classes have their own style and my Spanish 2's have been with me since freshman year and, then I have my Spanish 3 who really have improved their Spanish throughout the years and I get to see that first hand. 7.) Question: What are your hobbies outside of school? Answer: Well, I do alot of things with my children. I like dancing, softball, tennis and a good game of Scattergories. I love to cook, travel, and go out (when I can) to the movies. 8.) Question: What's your favorite food? Answer: I like all kinds of food from Sushi to roasted pork, and the list can go on and on. 9.) Question: How was your school life when you were in High School? Answer:Well, I went from a catholic school in NYC, graduated 8th grade and had a scholarship to attend one of the best HS in NYC (Mother Cabrini), however moved to Puerto Rico and went to public school there. Although public school is somewhat like private (you do have to wear uniforms) it was different considering my friends were all here in the states. I got used to it though, I had my cousins and made friends. We didn't have many clubs back then, there was a Business and Marketing Association, Book Club and the graduating class committee (Pres, VP, Sec, etc) We had fundraisers and had voting for Prom king and queen, I was prom queen for my graduating class. ___________________ 10.) Question: How many kids do you have? Answer: I have 2 children. Loren, is my oldest, she's a junior and Jaview, he's 15, he's a freshman. 11.) Question: Are you married? How many years? Answer: Yes, I'm married, I've been married for the past 25 years, and I'll be celebrating my 26th year in July. 12.) Question: How hard is it to raise a family, work a full-time job, and be a supportive wife? Answer: It is tough, however nothing comes easy and I constantly repeat to myself, what my Mother always told me and my Father taught us, "Be true to yourself and others, with hard work and dedication you can do it, remember, to always give back to your community, and remind yourself that God, never gives us nothing we can't handle", so I live by those words and try to instill those in my children. My husband and I both work full time and it is at times exhausting, however we're a constant reminder ot each other that we're a team. 13.) Question: Where do you get your energy from? Answer: T0 tell you the truth, I enjoy what I do! I guess I get it from my foundation, prayer, faith and a little help from above (I guess my Mom watches over me). 14.) Question: What are your dislikes? Answer: I don't have many dislikes, one thing I don't like is the word HATE, its not a nice word and I don't take it lightly. 15.) Question: Who is your best friend? Answer: My best friend was my mother (she passed away 7 years ago). I have two very close friends, one of which is my high school friend and the other is my hairdresser. 16.) Question: Who is your hero? Answer: If you’re asking me to choose, I would say someone I would call a hero is Roberto Clemente, because he is one of the greatest humanitarians. He chooses to leave New Year’s celebrations to take relief items to the devastated in Nicaragua, which cost him his life. There are many heroes nowadays, especially those who choose to lay down their lives to save others, those I also call hero, so as you can see there are many. MY PERSPECTIVE: I think Mrs. Franco is a GREAT Teacher. She always there when her students need her and cares about her students. Thank You Mrs. Franco for letting me Interview you. I am experiencing some technical difficulties with my Account, my Apologizes if the Interview looks weird. Have a Great Day, Vashon L. Hill PRESIDENT The Leadership Project "Today's Youth becoming tomorrow's Leaders" In Assoc. with TLP Publications VLHill/TLPP

2 comments:

  1. NIce profile on the teacher and great job at Friday's event. Can't wait to hear the wrap up on your blog. Met the board members and the school principal and they all had great things to say about how hard you guys worked! Keep up the good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You So Much for your kind words. IT was a great event, Thank You so much for coming out.

    ReplyDelete